I’ve been able to find a couple of gems during my research, so I thought I would share them with you all. Want something on the list? Comment! Want to know when I update the list? Subscribe! And most of all: Enjoy!
- yWriter5 – Small, free, easy-to-use program for outlining novels and short stories, created by Simon Haynes, author of the Hal Spacejock series. Fantastic program, I personally love it. You can also check CNET downloads for more reviews, and Simon Haynes’ other Spacejock software.
- FreeMind – Small, free program, mind mapping program for brainstorming and organizing your ideas. It’s been working great for me so far (See Writing Project: Day 1). Other reviews include Simon Haynes and CNET downloads.
- Dropbox – Dropbox allows you to sync your files across multiple computers, access your files from anywhere, and constantly have a backup even if you lost your hard drive. It’s free up to 2gb, which is more than enough to backup your writing.
- Ommwriter – Ambiance in a word processor, but MAC ONLY. I’ve heard good things, but since I run Windows, I haven’t been able to use it myself.
- Snowflake Pro – Novel-writing program from Randy Ingermanson utilizing his renown ‘Snowflake Method.’ The program costs 100 USD, so I have yet to try it and might not ever, but I do like the Snowflake Method itself, and the program offers lecture audio, notes, and help for each step.